Saturday, May 24, 2014

Old school

I sing a lot of old songs for Xena, especially before her afternoon nap. Lately, the song 'Kajra muhabbat wala' from the 1968 movie Kismat had been stuck in my head and I'd been singing a lot. The first time she heard the song, she immediately asked me which aunty had sung it. (I always tell her whatever trivia I know about the songs I sing for her.) So I told her, "Asha aunty and Shamshad aunty". Her immediate response was, "Woh kis tower mein rehte hain?" ("Which tower do they live in?") She thinks the whole world lives in our neighbourhood! Vasudhaiva kutumbakam indeed. :)

This evening, the whole family went a little nuts singing it over and over and luckily I managed to capture one of the instances on camera.




11 comments:

TMaYaD said...

You sing well. Did anyone tell that?

R said...

you have a beautiful voice, sash. sing one full song for us, please!!

Arun said...

+1

Anonymous said...

Hi sayesha,

Read your blog...lovely blog you have...hugs to the little one..
One thing I came here to ask you is you studies in ntu...I would like to know abt the masters Pgm there as I am doing one this aug..how abt the text books do they provide or we have to rely on library? Pls clarify..and how easy or how tough is the Pgm I know that May be a childish question but pls answer me according to our indian context..as I'm entering uni after quite long from out of ug and working made me monotonous

Thisisme said...

i will end up repeating what every1 has said here and whati have said before too!! u have amazing voice quality! y dont u try Radio Jockeying! chaa jaoge boss!

Varsha said...

Xena has this slight firang accent, like when she is singing "mohabbat wala", and 'Jaan'.

Sayesha said...

Subhash,
Thank you. :)

Raam Pyari,
Thank you. I'll try and do a full song with Xena at some point. :) If she shows an interest to be trained in music, it might be a good opportunity for me to learn too. :)

Arun,
Thank you! :)

shaktii,
Thanks. :)
I did my master's at NTU some 6 years ago so I know nothing about how it is now. I bought the textbooks (they were crazy expensive; >$100) and used some library books for reference. I wouldn't be able to compare the difficulty level against Indian unis because I've never studied in a uni in India. Do email me if you have any more questions.

Thisisme,
Lol, I keep talking about how annoying RJs are and you want me to become one? What are you trying to say huh huh huh? :P But yes, I have got a lot of encouragement for my singing lately, so I might consider learning some form of music. :)

Varsha,
LOL! :D

Thisisme said...

music is also a great option!! rather a muhc much better option :)

Pls do go for it!! i m v sure u will make a fab singer!!

Arun said...

+1

But learning music is not a substitute for writing a movie screen play :)

How do we know said...

this makes my day! and u sing so sweetly!!!

How do we know said...

this makes my day! and u sing so sweetly!!!